Canberra High School Board
The Functions of the School Board Are:
- to determine the educational policies to be implemented at the school
- to assess, from time to time, the needs of the school in relation to the provision of buildings and facilities, equipment, funds and teachers and other staff and make recommendations to the department with respect to the meeting of those needs
- to determine the purposes for which funds made available for the school are to be expended
- to make recommendations to the department in respect of the use of buildings, facilities and equipment of the school for purposes other than school purposes
- to develop relationships between the school and the community and between the school and community organisations
- to make recommendations to the department on matters relating to the school
- such other functions as the department confers upon the board.
The board consists of three elected parents, two elected teachers, two elected students, a member appointed by the department and the school principal (ex officio). The chairperson is elected by all board members and may not be a teacher representative or the principal.
The board has played an important role in promoting the interests of Canberra High School and its students and looks to the continued assistance and support of parents, students and staff in its future work.
Message from the Parent Representatives
Rebecca Drew - Board Chair
I’ve had the great pleasure of being involved with the Canberra High School community since 2015 when my daughter started Year 7, and that continues today with my daughter now in college and my son in year 9 at Canberra High. I enjoy the opportunities available to participate in the life of Canberra High, from helping with BBQs and soup nights, through to my role as Vice President of the P&C from 2015-2017. I’ve been a member of the Canberra High Board since March 2017 and was previously a member of the Aranda Primary School Board. Now beginning my second term on the Canberra High Board as Chair, I am keen to contribute to the future direction of the school under our new Principal, including through the 2019 school review process.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to contact me.
Mark Thompson - Deputy Board Chair
This is my fifth year of involved with Canberra High School, having seen one child graduate and a second in year 9. I have been privileged to be a member of the School Board since November, 2018. My career is in education, having worked most of my working life in universities. I currently work in the office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at the University of Canberra. I have a bachelors degree in business and and masters degree in leadership and management in education. My hope is that our children develop the skills they need to thrive in a rapidly changing world, and have been impressed by the way the school’s values and teaching help with this.
- Samara Chisholm (Principal non-member)
- Melissa Beattie (Assistant Returning Officer)
- Rebecca Drew (Board Chair)
- Mark Thompson (Deputy Board Chair)
- Lyn Chester (Community Member)
- Daniel Stewart (Parent Representative)
- Phil Dunne (Teacher Representative)
- Cameron Betts (Teacher Representative)
- Ansh Chheda (Student Representative)
- Zoe Butler (Student Representative)
Annual Action Plan Report/ Impact Report
Annual School Board Report
External School Review Report
School Improvement Plan