In SOSE students discover and interpret the world around them through the fields of History, Geography, Commerce and Civics. SOSE courses have a strong emphasis on critical thinking, research, and expressing ideas using various forms of written and oral communication.
Our students study SOSE at each year level via a combination of compulsory and elective units.
Year 7 & 8 Program
A common curriculum in Year 7 and 8 units introduces students to the breadth of subject areas and helps them develop the core skills they will need to study SOSE in their senior years.
Year 7 Units of study include:
- Humanities and Social Science - A combination of Geography, Civics and Commerce
- Ancient Civilisations - History
Year 8 Units of study
- Humanities and Social Science - a combination of Geography, Civics and Commerce
- From the Ancient to the Modern World - History
Yr 9 & 10 Program
In Years 9 and 10, students study a minimum of three courses across the four semesters. We have two compulsory units, which all students must complete, with subsequent courses selected from a range of electives.
- Movements in Modern History
- Australia in the Modern World
Year 9 & 10 SOSE Electives
- Power and Prejudice
- Popular Culture
- Legal Studies
- Mind Your Own Business
- Global Studies
- The World Today
- General SOSE