Canberra High School Board
The Functions of the School Board Are:
- to determine the educational policies to be implemented at the school
- to assess, from time to time, the needs of the school in relation to the provision of buildings and facilities, equipment, funds and teachers and other staff and make recommendations to the department with respect to the meeting of those needs
- to determine the purposes for which funds made available for the school are to be expended
- to make recommendations to the department in respect of the use of buildings, facilities and equipment of the school for purposes other than school purposes
- to develop relationships between the school and the community and between the school and community organisations
- to make recommendations to the department on matters relating to the school
- such other functions as the department confers upon the board.
The board consists of three elected parents, two elected teachers, two elected students, a member appointed by the department and the school principal (ex officio). The chairperson is elected by all board members and may not be a teacher representative or the principal.
The board has played an important role in promoting the interests of Canberra High School and its students and looks to the continued assistance and support of parents, students and staff in its future work.
Message from the Parent Representatives
Daniel Stewart - Board Chair
I have been involved with CHS since my son started at the school in 2018, joining the Board in 2020 and taking on the position of chair in 2021. It is a privilege to be a part of the CHS community and to play a role through the Board in building on that community into the future. As an academic at the Australian National University, I have seen how students thrive when they embody the values of resilience, curiosity and a love of the challenge of learning. Together with the other members of the School Board, I look forward to working to ensure CHS can continue to provide all students with as many opportunities as possible to fulfil their potential.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to contact me.
Dr Fern Hyde - Deputy Board Chair
I became part of the Canberra High School community in 2019 and have two children at the school. I joined the CHS Board in 2021. As an educator I have worked in Primary and High School settings and in Education Support Office in Canberra, and worked in pre-service teacher education. I now manage an education program teaching research skills for PhD candidates and academic staff at University of Canberra. Teachers and schools play a significant role in children’s knowledge and skill development and can shape how children see themselves in the world and what is possible for their future. The CHS values and how they are embodied by the school community will support our children as they learn and grow.
- Samara Chisholm (Principal non-member)
- Melissa Beattie (Assistant Returning Officer)
- Daniel Stewart (Board Chair)
- Dr Fern Hyde (Deputy Board Chair)
- Valessa Basic (Parent Representative)
- Emily Fisher (Teacher Representative)
- Melinda Timpson (Teacher Representative)
- Rachel Huxley (Student Representative)
Annual Action Plan Report/ Impact Report
Annual School Board Report
External School Review Report
School Improvement Plan